
I had just finished up working on Tuesday night and Brett headed out to basketball. I was looking forward to just sitting on the couch and watching some incredibly mind numbing television when McKade stumbled in crying and said that he was bleeding. He had a little blood on his pillow case and I could see a little in his mouth still. I sent him for a paper towel to spit in and a bottle of water. I had him sit next to me and drink the bottle of water and spit into the paper towel. I immediately called Grandma (the nurse) to find out how normal this was 11 days after he had his tonsils out. We both decided that since there wasn't too much blood that I would just keep an eye on him. McKade said he could still taste blood so I sent him to brush his teeth. When he came back there was blood everywhere and I went into panic mode. I was still on the phone with Grandma and she immediately said, "I'm on my way". I took McKade upstairs to clean him up and as we got upstairs he started gagging and threw up into the sink. There was a lot of blood and a "chunk" of something. I really went into panic mode and called my neighbor to come over NOW because our trip to the ER needed to happen NOW! By the time we got to the hospital the bleeding had stopped but McKade was a little shaky. They were really quick about getting us back into a room. McKade asked for some water and as soon as he started drinking the bleeding started again. He immediately complained of a stomach ache and the nurse brought in the "bucket" just in case. When I saw what came out of his mouth I really panicked and screamed for a nurse. She acted like it was no big deal but I later found out the doctors had gone into panic mode as well. The ER Doctor came in and took one look in his mouth and one look into the bucket and was immediately on the phone with the on-call ENT. It was then that he explained that McKade was going to have to go back to the Operating Room to stop the bleeding. It took 4 people to get the IV in his arm including an Air Med nurse and then Mom and Dad to convince him it was going to be okay. It was at this time that he asked to use the bathroom. Brett helped him down the hall and before McKade could get there he was throwing up again. This time it got all over the floor and there was a lot of it. There was enough blood that the ER Doctor was standing with McKade checking his pulse. He continued throwing up in the sink. No sooner than the ENT had gotten there did they have McKade ready for surgery. He went back in and they were able to stop the bleeding. The Doctor said it's abnormal for someone to bleed that many days out but it does happen. He lost some blood but not enough that the Doctor was concerned enough to have to do a transfusion. I will have to admit that I was terrified. I didn't let McKade see that but lost it after they took him back into surgery. How can a routine surgery turn into such a nightmare? We were able to take him home that night and I think I slept about 5 minutes because I watched him all night long making sure that he was still breathing. The Doctors were amazing and from the time we walked into the ER until the time we walked out we had only been there 3.5 hours surgery and all. I sure love that little guy!
2 comments:
oh my...how scary! I'm glad he's okay.
Oh my hell! That is crazy! I did not know all the details. Amber I would of been FREAKING out. That poor little guys. Sooo glad he is doing good. :)
Post a Comment